So autumn. Much cold. W O W
Just an FYI to the world that my first official kiss was at a Blockbuster.
The closing of these stores truly means it has been the end of an era.
1) Officially made a Pillsbury Doughboy expert, but General Mills additionally included “honorary member of the Poppin’ Fresh family tree” in there too. I can’t. Even.
2) I got to tweet with Ralph the Hand from Hamburger Helper about the nature of brands and his “mascot to mascot” relationship with the Doughboy. Again, I can’t. Even. Maybe some people will think it’s weird that I’m into this but I’ve long said that this band of icons are my dream dinner party guests.
3) My final Bake-Off itinerary packet arrived for Saturday and it’s going to be an AWESOME four days in Vegas. GE really will be making us Mint Juleps and I am going to a seminar on what the evolving millennial view on food is. Just the tip of the surface! The coolest of cool beans. Aaaaaand this is why I want to go to the Bake-Off every year until I’m six feet under pretty much.
Today so many of my childhood dreams came true all around me it was stunning and the crazy part is that this is just the beginning. There’s something to be said about sticking to your guns and just hanging onto that tiny glimmer that you love so much. For me, that little glimmer grew and evolved over the years. What was once a cute little girl hanging onto her stuffed Doughboy turned into a young lady who became fascinated in researching the dough behind the Doughboy and has a small treasure trove of Poppin’ and Poppie commercials and other assorted Leo Burnett PDF documents on her computer.
It all feels right and natural and like pieces of the puzzle of myself falling into place. I couldn’t have done this when I was 14, 19, 23. Too many barriers and excuses were in the way. But now. Now’s truly the time!
I wasn’t kidding when I said this week was going to be great!
It’s official: according to General Mills, I’m the Pillsbury Doughboy’s biggest fan!!
There are some moments you feel your entire life is leading up to and this moment especially is over a decade in the making. All out of love, love for someone 5 inches tall, weighing in at 8 ounces, and so very special who defines me to the core : Poppin’ Fresh.
This week is gonna be crazy good. I can feel it in my bones!
I had a wonderful college experience and wouldn’t trade my time at my university for the world, but I do wish I was still in college sometimes because I know if I was right now, I would have written so many papers on how inspiring and courageous Wendy Davis is. One voice can do a lot to lift up many who wouldn’t have spoken otherwise and hers is hands down my favorite of 2013.
What a fabulous rejection email to receive on my birthday (and 13 hours after sending along the application too - your automatic replies don’t miss a beat!). Please do what you can to pull that job listing off of your website if you don’t want to continue to receive applications submitted in for it, especially when I went through your LinkedIn account and noticed there still appears to be no one in that role within your company.
I SO appreciate getting told I have been rejected for a potential position I applied to and could have rocked 13 hours after applying by a pre-mandated email response. You picked the wrong day to pull this stunt on. And the wrong girl too. Please collect yourselves, get your life, and understand that I do not allow things to go away quietly.
New dress, heels, and this amazing new glitter eyeliner/mascara excuse me while I wear that with EVERYTHING from here on out!
"I don’t know about you but I’m feeling 26!" #birthdaygirl #taylorswiftlyricsrevised
Depeche Mode performing “Should Be Higher” live on Letterman
There’s something about Dave Gahan’s voice that really ignites the inner stripper inside me.
In just a few more days, I’ll be bidding the lower half of my twenties farewell. I’m proud to say that from where I currently stand in life, I have accomplished and achieved more than I ever dreamed I would, even though where I am now is a far cry from where the younger version of me initially wanted to wind up. (Which, according to copious “open me when I’m 30!” shoebox and letter assignments in high school, involved me living in New York and writing. Close enough - there’s more sunshine on the West Coast anyway.)
But I’m not even close to being finished with my to-do list for myself! Admittedly, this list is a bit on the scattered side since I finished planning my life out once I graduated from college and have since been sort of on the “take a day at a time while still working your butt off” road. A friend of mine recently suggested making up a board on Pinterest about what I’d like my future to be and even though I don’t really care for Pinterest, I took her advice to try it out. I wound up making that board one half actual things I want to do, the other half photos of Bianca Jagger (current style inspo) and glasses of champagne.
There is some backstory behind making this Pinterest board - backstory that comes from a much more introspective place. Prior to this suggestion being given to me, I had quietly told my friend that lately, then and still now, I have not been happy. The unhappiness has been stemming from my full time job. It’s not something I’ve been able to talk about out loud either or write about here because I never know whose eyes might be seeing this. But it’s been there for awhile and unfortunately, continues to keep worsening as the days go on. It’s not the work I do or the people that surround me or the rules in place. It’s the stagnation I despise and the overall fear that I’ll never be able to move, and I mean really move, elsewhere. I’ve been doing my part (slowly) to see to changing this. It bothers me that it syncs up a little bit to one of the stories I’ve been writing on the side too - I swear I’m not trying to be a method writer!
Anyway - back to the future. 30 minutes of dicking around with pretty pictures later, I think I have a game plan in place for the future.
1) Get a pinup photo shoot of yours truly done. Possibly more than one shoot - I want to do one with a kitchen/apron theme, another with a Christmas theme, some classic Bettie Page goodness, etc.
2) Attend and write on the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. The funny thing is that I did (kind of) have the opportunity to do this last year but it was limited only to going backstage and interviewing the models and not actually going to the show. I want to be able to do both!
3) Move again, though where to exactly I’m not sure. A series of different places would be ideal. I have this inside joke with my dad about being a tumbleweed blowing through the prairie of life that I feel is fairly accurate.
4) Have a book published, maybe more than one. I have a few ideas rolling around in my head, all of which have half-written word documents drawn up. One idea has been the most prominent of them all and after a few more weeks, I’ll really want to get the wheels in motion on that one though I can’t say why just yet!
5) Go overseas to London and travel for a bit.
6) Make out with a bunch of cute guys. (Untethered Heather, adding on to my tumbleweed lifestyle.)
7) Laugh, eat, love, and do it all in cute dresses. Basically embrace being like the Dude but with a champagne glass instead of a White Russian.
8) And oh yes, ideally have my student loan paid off and no more credit card debt would be just beautiful.